Sunday 31 January 2016

Treason and hypocrisy

I have been planning for some time to write about the supposed German holocaust of the 1940s, but that would require more time than I have available to me right now.

What I will note today is this famous quote from Lord Shawcross, who was the lead British prosecutor at the Nuremberg trials:

There comes a point when a man must refuse to answer to his leader if he is also to answer to his own conscience.

I am not sure that the British establishment has ever allowed this pearl of wisdom to apply to British people - or indeed to people whom they regard as British.

It is reported today that the BBC has argued that William Joyce - also known as Lord Haw Haw - should never have been convicted of treason by the British government on the grounds that he was an American national.

It is also noted that the British government during the Second World War interned people who were suspected of being sympathetic to the German government.  The German government sent people to concentration camps on the grounds of their political views, and so too did the British government.

It is curious how people in the political arena can often be adept at spotting hypocrisy in their rivals, but can be utterly blind to their own hypocrisy.  In the time I have been writing this blog, I have tried to avoid writing anything which could be seen as hypocritical, and I am pleased that no one has yet accused me of hypocrisy.  Comments are welcome as always.

Related previous posts include:
The outdated concept of treason

No comments:

Post a Comment