Thursday 1 January 2015

The death penalty - who dies?

It is New Year's Day 2015, and I am returning to my blog after some time away for reflection.  There have been a lot of news items in the last couple of days which I feel demand my attention, but some of them require greater consideration.

I have therefore decided to return to a favourite subject of mine, being the death penalty.  Some weeks ago a young woman told me she had been burgled, and unfortunately not for the first time.  She is not rich, and the items taken were of small value.  It is therefore likely that the burglar was a drug user who wanted to steal pretty well anything he could find of any value so as to allow him to buy more drugs.

I told the young woman that at the last general election I had voted for a political party whose policies included bringing back the death penalty as a punishment for drug dealers.  She appeared to grasp the point I was making.

As I write it is reported that at least three men in East Anglia have died recently, apparently as a result of taking ecstasy.  The national newspaper which reports these deaths quotes someone as trotting out the usual cliché that these deaths are tragic.  These deaths are stupid.

Drugs are dangerous, so why don't we vote in elections for political parties who seek to hang drug dealers?  If the drug dealer who supplied these ecstasy tablets had been arrested and hanged as soon as he turned to drug dealing, then maybe three New Year's Eve revellers would still be alive.

The choice is this simple.  We let drug dealers die at the end of a rope, or else we continue to let idiotic drug users die after taking drugs which they presumably know to be illegal.

No comments:

Post a Comment