Friday 2 May 2014

Are you a racist?

Have I written on this topic before?  Maybe.  As I write, UKIP have unveiled their latest poster, which is about immigration from eastern Europe.  Apparently some evil MPs have branded this poster racist, or have branded UKIP racist.

Racism is a word that is not easy to define.  Merriam-Webster defines it as:

poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race and

the belief that some races of people are better than others.

I have found other broadly similar definitions, but as my time is limited I will concentrate on the two definitions above.

Is it racist to argue that people from one country should not have an open right of access to another country?  Not according to either of the above definitions.  I am British.  I do not consider myself entitled to go and live and work (or claim handouts) in Peru.  Does it follow that I believe that Peruvians are better than me?  Am I advocating violence against or poor treatment of myself at the hands of Peruvians?

By both of the above definitions it is not racist to want to control immigration, or even to prohibit it altogether.  We often hear communists using the word racist to describe the opponents of immigration, but it is strange that we seldom hear the word racist being used about Asiatic or Levantine countries which have rigid immigration laws.

Have you ever heard India described as a racist country because of its immigration laws?  What about Israel?  Or Saudi Arabia?

UKIP is not given to discussing race issues, but many people in the patriotic community do.  It is easy for people who discuss race issues to be denounced as racist by communists, but is this fair?

People who dislike Islam are often labelled racists, which is clearly absurd given that Islam is not a race.  It is a belief system founded upon a book which contains the quote I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip.

But to return to the issue of race, ask yourself some questions.  Is there such a thing as a poor white continent?  Is there such a thing as a rich non-white continent?  Native North Americans had North America to themselves for thousands of years before white men arrived.  In all of that time they never built the Hoover Dam.  If I've got it right, the Hoover Dam was built around one hundred years after white men began to colonise the surrounding area (on the border of Arizona and Nevada).

Is it racist of me to ask why native North Americans never built a dam across the Colorado River?  I expect a lot of communists would say so, but humans tend to develop both as individuals and as communities by asking questions.

I am not inciting poor treatment of or violence against native North Americans by questioning their failure to build the Hoover Dam, and so I am not racist by the first Merriam-Webster definition.  I am on less firm ground with regards to the second definition though - but is it a helpful definition?

Agnes Sina-Inakoju was a Nigerian teenager who was machine-gunned to death on a night out in London.  Her killers were, like her, non-white.  If I were to ask whether or not her death was in any way related to the race of her killers, then I am sure that a lot of communists would label me a racist, but communists are not known for either their love of free speech or their respect for human life.
I sincerely believe that the streets of Greater London will continue to run with blood until our political leaders start to have a sensible debate about immigration and issues surrounding race and culture.  That is unlikely to happen until the word racist is no longer bandied about by the enemies of humanity.

Related previous posts include:
Black violence: a black woman speaks out
Demon words aimed at UKIP












No comments:

Post a Comment